Saturday, April 7, 2012

Emma's Room - Project 1 - Ruffle Lamp

Total Spent: About $11
Total Time: About 3 hours (without waiting for paint to dry)



Okay so here is the sob story.  My husband and I tried to have kids on our own for about two years without any luck.  After tests and surgeries, it looked like we were good to go.  We got pregnant about two months after surgery.  Everything was happy and great..we got to see the heartbeat at 8 weeks.  However, when we went back two weeks later..no baby.  It was emotionally and financially devastating.

Well, fast forward one and a half years, and I am happy to report that we are currently 6 months, and one week pregnant with a little baby girl named Emma Michelle.  I have approximately 3 months to get her room in order...on a budget!!!

Sooo, I have already picked out her colors.  Purple, Black, Gray Damask, and a hint of Teal.  All I need to do now, is create!

A couple of weeks ago I saw a photo on pinterest of a ruffled lamp.  I told myself that I could do that!  So last Saturday, I went garage saling for the first time.  I found a nice lamp base for a $1.


Then went to a local thrift store and found a lamp shade for $2.98.


Perfect!  Then, going from the looks of the picture, I went about making the ruffles for the lamp.  All I did was measure the base of the lamp shade and double the measurement to get the length of cut for my fabric.  It's okay to seam together pieces that are too short to create a full piece.  Then I hemmed the bottom 1/4 of an inch.  After that, I used my handy dandy ruffle foot for my sewing machine and the rest is history.


However, after placing the lamp shade on the lamp base that I had bought and painted with black acrylic paint, I decided the base was too short, so I went to another thrift store and bought another base for $2.98.


I then painted it with the black acrylic and added silver acrylic for more of an accent.  For the final touch of the lamp shade, I wanted to add a touch of teal, so I added a flower.  For this, just take an inch and a half of fabric, about 45 inches long, and run a stitch along the bottom of the fabric.  After you have run your stitch, gather the fabric and form into a flower. (I used a piece of glass, and a hot glue gun to form the flower.)


To add some sparkle to the flower, I cut some black sparkly tulle, and added it to the inside of my flower, finishing up with a button covered with black fabric to get the final look...LOVE!!



No comments:

Post a Comment