Saturday, April 7, 2012

My First Documented Project - Toy Box

Total Price: About $18
Total Time: About 4-5 hours (not including waiting for paint to dry)



My first ever experience with re-furbishing a thrift store find happened when my niece, Kiersten, was turning two.  She wanted/needed a toy box to go in her room. Have you seen the prices on some of the fancy toy boxes out there? Outrageous!!  I went to thrift store after thrift store and finally found a perfect piece...at only $12!!


First thing I did when I got it home..was ask my painter husband to paint it black.  While he was doing that, I printed out a stencil on the computer (with regular computer paper) and cut out the inside of the lettering.  When the paint was dry, I taped the stencil to the toy box.  I then very carefully traced the stencil with pencil and the took the stencil off.  Using the pencil outline, I painted the inside of the lettering to get...


After this step, I thought it needed a little more color to go with her fabric, so I created another stencil and put a swirl on the bottom of the toy box.  I then used a staple gun, and stapled fabric to the inside of the toy box so that toys would be seen through the heart.  The last step was creating a seat cushion so that when she wasn't playing with the toys inside, she could use it as a bench.  The final product...She loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment