Sunday, April 15, 2012

Emma's Room - Project 3 - Fray Crib Quilt

This is not a Garage Sale turn around.  Didn't go out garage saling this weekend because of pending Oklahoma storms...

Total Spent: ~$50  (too much..but worth every penny)
Total Time: ~ 10 hours


This fray blanket has been something I have wanted to try since my friend ordered one from Etsy.  I looked on the internet for tutorials to get the basic idea, but the design is all mine.

First I cut 48 - 8" squares of the following: Black Broadcloth fabric, Purple Broadcloth Fabric, Teal Fabric, and Black minky dot fabric.

Then I cut 40 - 8" squares of regular gray broadcloth, and then 8 - 8" squares of the expensive gray damask fabric to show on front of quilt.

Last I cut 48 - 6" squares of batting to line the squares.


First I made pancakes of the different squares and colors I wanted with the minky on back, the batting in the middle, and the rest of the colors on top (making sure that the colors I wanted on the quilt were visible based on the pattern.




Then I did diagonal running stitches across each square, the did straight lines through the middle.  Lay squares in the pattern of your quilt.  Pin and sew each column using a 1" seam allowance.  Then join the columns.  Lastly stitch around border of blanket.

Then for a couple of hours, you will need to snip the edges at 1/4" increments being careful not to snip the stitches.  Put the finished blanket into the wash and then the dryer.  The dryer will fray your blanket for you like magic!

Back of Blanket

Both sides - Finished!!



No comments:

Post a Comment